CBD is not just for humans. It is also for pets, including dogs. Early research suggests that using CBD for dogs can be a promising solution to a variety of health conditions and in preventing various issues. Despite the advantages, however, a lot of people remain skeptical.
Among others, one thing that worries many pet owners is the potential side effects. Are there any? Should you be alarmed? Read on and learn from the insights we’ll share.
Why Use CBD for Dogs?
Cannabidiol, the chemical compound from marijuana or hemp, does not cause effects of being high. Rather, it is the one responsible for the calming effects. Based on anecdotal stories of some pet owners, CBD has the potential to deliver a plethora of benefits, including the following:
- Prevent Anxiety: Fear, separation, old age, and hormones are some of the reasons for anxiety in dogs. CBD appears to help in dealing with anxious dogs. It can activate serotonin, which will make the dog relaxed and happy.
- Ease Pain: Many factors can trigger pain in dogs, such as arthritis. For pain relief without resorting to chemical treatments, many pet owners are exploring the use of CBD.
- Treat Epilepsy: Seeing a dog suffer from epilepsy or seizure is heartbreaking. CBD is worth a shot as it seems effective in reducing seizures, including against drug-resistant epilepsy.
- Minimize Aggression: When it comes to calming aggressive dogs, CBD is a potential solution worth a shot. It induces a calming effect in the same way that it is great for dogs who have anxiety.
Are There Side Effects of Using CBD for Dogs?
Currently, there is minimal scientific data supporting the use of CBD for dogs. Nonetheless, given the experiences of many people, as well as the effects of CBD in humans, it is safe to assume that there are potential side effects.
While CBD in veterinary medicine has some side effects, however, it should not be a reason to dismiss its use for dogs. In most cases, the good outweighs the bad. More importantly, if you use CBD properly, then you can have peace of mind.
Below are some of the most common side effects of using CBD in dogs:
- Dry Mouth: Because CBD can cause a reduction in saliva, you might notice that your dog’s mouth is turning dry. This will result in increased thirst, so make sure that water is always ready.
- Drowsiness: Relaxation is one of the most common benefits of using CBD. Hence, your dog may end up being drowsy or sleepy. This calming effect is more evident when the CBD was given at a high dose.
- Low Blood Pressure: The administration of CBD in dogs can cause the blood pressure to drop temporarily. This can make your dog light-headed, so it is best to prevent any strenuous activity.
- Diarrhoea: Mild diarrhoea is common even in dogs with a healthy diet. This is especially true if you have a pet with a sensitive stomach.
Most of the reactions, however, are mild and harmless. Some people might panic after seeing an unusual behaviour, but we recommend that you wait until the effects subside. If the problem persists for days, then this is the time that you might want to see a vet.
Using CBD Properly
To maximize the benefits and minimize the side effects, pay attention to the proper use of CBD in dogs. Below are some of the best things to do:
- Choose a high-quality CBD product. Cannabis advocate Hinterland Co. suggests that you should always look for a certificate of analysis, which will help you determine the strength of the product and assess its safety for your dogs.
- Pick the right form of CBD product to use. Oils are amongst the most popular. CBD dog treats are also great and appealing for pets. Topical rubs are also available.
- Pay attention to the right dosage of CBD to use. The best thing to do is to consult a vet. Professional knowledge and expertise are necessary to determine how much CBD can be safely administered to dogs.
- Watch out for the side effects. If your dog demonstrates prolonged adverse and alarming effects, stop its use.
Overall, CBD is beneficial in many ways for dogs. In the same way, it can also have side effects, such as dehydration and drowsiness. These are normal and nothing to worry about. If you are using a high-quality product and when you keep an eye on your pet, CBD can be a safe and effective choice for dealing with different problems, such as anxiety and aggression.